eBay Facts At-A-Glance
(as of 12/31/04)
- Founded in September 1995, eBay is The World’s Online Marketplace®.
- In the fourth quarter of 2004, eBay reported having:
- 135 million registered users
- More than 50,000 categories
- A global presence in 32 international markets, including the United States
- A record number of 404 million listings
- Profitable since its launch, eBay’s net
revenues for 2004 totaled $3.27 billion, a 51 percent increase
over the $2.17 billion reported in 2003
- Gross merchandise volume (GMV), the total value of goods and services
traded on eBay worldwide, reached more than $34.2 billion in 2004. This
translates to more than $1,085 GMV per second.
- eBay has 12 categories that deliver $1 billion or more in worldwide
annualized GMV: eBay Motors ($11.1 billion); Consumer Electronics ($3.5
billion); Computers ($3.0 billion); Clothing & Accessories ($2.9 billion);
Books/Movies/Music ($2.4 billion); Collectibles ($2.2 billion); Home & Garden
($2.0 billion); Sports ($1.8 billion); Toys ($1.8 billion); Jewelry and Watches
($1.7 billion); Cameras & Photo ($1.3 billion); and Business & Industrial ($1.2
- eBay’s fixed price offerings contributed nearly
31 percent of eBay’s total GMV during the fourth quarter of 2004.
- eBay’s international business accounted for
48 percent of the company’s
total GMV during the fourth quarter of 2004.
- PayPal is available in 45 countries and has
63.8 million registered
accounts, up from 56.7 million reported in the third quarter of 2004.
- More than 430,000 people in the United States make either a full-time or
part-time living selling on eBay.
- To date, eBay members have left more than 2.7 billion feedback comments
regarding their eBay transactions.